Staying on your game.

These past couple hours I went bowling with some friends. I started off the first two goes decent. Then I got a text from my girlfriend saying she needed to talk to me about something next time she saw me. I got anxious and my final score was around one hundred points lower than I usually get.

My game was thrown off immensely.

If I left my phone in the car while bowling this would have never happened, but I need to learn to overcome situations like that if I am ever to truly succeed.

I also understand this is the same reason why my father tells me to keep my phone in the car during working hours. He knows I can be thrown off easily by things like that.

So whether it be personal, financial, or otherwise.. How do you all keep a focused mindset and stay on your game when life happens?

I live by 2 simple rules;

Everyday I wake up I'm taking a test. The test is can I focus myself to the hard and necessary things and delay gratification on the short term pleasures. The more correct decisions I make the more I know I'm passing the test. Your mind/will power is like a muscle, it only gets better with use. The more you keep passing the test, the bigger your self confidence gets, the more energized and productive you feel and the more people around you start taking notice.

I also live by a quote from Epictetus, a roman philosopher it states "Circumstances do not make the man, they only reveal himself to himself and to others." Every time something goes bad I remind myself of this quote and I understand I need to react calmly, proactively and solve the problem.

Also remember you have a choice in how you react to things. Instead of reacting on auto pilot like most people do, remember that you have a choice in how you react. You can react calmly and rationally or with anxiety or anger, frustration etc. However understand that it's YOUR choice on how to react and own it.

Quote Originally Posted by IT'S KARL! View Post
    I live by 2 simple rules;

Everyday I wake up I'm taking a test. The test is can I focus myself to the hard and necessary things and delay gratification on the short term pleasures. The more correct decisions I make the more I know I'm passing the test. Your mind/will power is like a muscle, it only gets better with use. The more you keep passing the test, the bigger your self confidence gets, the more energized and productive you feel and the more people around you start taking notice.

I also live by a quote from Epictetus, a roman philosopher it states "Circumstances do not make the man, they only reveal himself to himself and to others." Every time something goes bad I remind myself of this quote and I understand I need to react calmly, proactively and solve the problem.

Also remember you have a choice in how you react to things. Instead of reacting on auto pilot like most people do, remember that you have a choice in how you react. You can react calmly and rationally or with anxiety or anger, frustration etc. However understand that it's YOUR choice on how to react and own it.
    Those are some good rules and that's an awesome way of thinking. I'll remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by IT'S KARL! View Post
    What Karl said here.

I also live by two words. They are simply... No worries.

I've said them every day in varying situations for the past 15 years.
    White Knight Video - We can explain anything in 90 seconds or less.
    The things that excite you are not random. They are connected to your purpose. Follow them.

"Dont worry" is always easier said than done, but if you really think about it, you didnt know what your girlfriend wanted so worrying about it is essentially useless because you arent actually achieving anything by doing. You cant prepare for what she'll say because you dont know what it will be and you cant come up with a response because she didnt tell you anything. In a situation like that you would need to acknowledge that you will need to talk, but then stop there and understand that you will deal with it then and continue on as you were. Again its not something you didnt think of before, and emotions are emotions. If you are going to think about it then you should think about it in the right way and know you have no control over that outcome at the moment and can then come to terms with the idea that you shouldnt worry. I also need to start to take this advice.