Has Anyone Taught Themselves A Different Language ?

If so, what language? What did you use to help? Any tips or tricks?

I would love to teach myself a second language. I spoke semi fluent German years ago and am now interested in learning Polish and Spanish.

I am primarily concerned about teaching myself as this would be a great challenge this upcoming year.

Who else has taught themselves or are maybe in the process of teaching themselves another language?

I've taught myself German (years ago) and English. I'm still interested in Spanish as well. What motivates you to learn Polish? I'm native.

My girlfriend is Polish so it would be a positive when visiting her parents.

However living in South Florida Spanish is my primary concern at the moment. How did you teach yourself German?

Rosetta Stone worked great for Spanish for a friend of mine, but after a bit he had a hard time staying with the program and eventually lost interest, but that may have just been him. If you are around it more often then it might be easier to pick it up and retain it.

@sogood What I did is I used to surround myself with German media, read books even though I didn't understand a word at first. Brute-force learning pretty much.
    Last edited by EMK; 01-15-2015 at 06:23 AM.

When theres a will theres a way. I like the media idea. Her parents always watch polish tv, so I can get an idea of whats going on.

I really want to challenge myself to learn spanish. My girlfriend speaks polish fluently so she can teach me but when it comes to spanish Im on my own.

Has anyone used anything else like Babble, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by sogood View Post
    My girlfriend is Polish so it would be a positive when visiting her parents.

However living in South Florida Spanish is my primary concern at the moment. How did you teach yourself German?

I'm originally from Poland, polish girls are great! You will be very happy. I speak fluent polish but can't write but if you ever need a buddy to talk business, life and learn polish give me a shout!

When it comes to learning a language fast this might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0yGdNEWdn0
    Last edited by IT'S KARL!; 01-21-2015 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IT'S KARL! View Post
    I'm originally from Poland, polish girls are great! You will be very happy. I speak fluent polish but can't write but if you ever need a buddy to talk business, life and learn polish give me a shout!

When it comes to learning a language fast this might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0yGdNEWdn0
    I see you're in Toronto, my girlfriend was born there before her parents decided to move down to Florida.

Thanks for the link! Super useful, will definitely be applying those rules and actions everyday to help me achieve my goal.

Not ot get off topic but those TEDx talks are great...

I'm currently using Rosetta Stone for Italian. Honestly, I've learned more in the first unit (out of five), than 4 years of Italian I took in high school lol. It works great