meeting likeminded people

Turns out my "friends" have been doing nothing but bringing me down, draining my pockets, and only good when we want to go grab a drink. I have to add, they are good people, but I dropped contact because they were just bringing me down, sucking me in to their broken promises to themselves of eventually succeeding, far from likeminded interests, it is/was no benefit to me. These "friends" I speak of I met at nightclubs (because I wanted to make money in the nightlife industry, turns out it all a bunch unprofessional idiots with a low self-esteem) and bars or parties. Honestly, all they seemed good for was to kick back a few cocktails and talk about, well, stupid sh*t. Now that I cut off nearly all of these "friends" I'm having a hard time finding new, likeminded people. People I can have interesting conversations with, talk about goals, business, and hobbies without having to grab drinks to stay entertained. Aside from trying to meet up with people here on SE, which I've attempted to do, what could you guys suggest? I've considered joining a sailing club in order to meet new people, but I don't know if i want to financially commit to a membership hoping that the people I meet share the same interests.

Thank you for that information. The first part answers my question, but the solution seems to be catered to the individual asking it. As for the internet solution, I suppose SE is a good start. I would resort to meeting like minded people (in a forum and/or eventually in person) around a mutual hobby, but I haven't really found one (aside from working to structure a successful business, if you consider that a hobby) But even then, where are these people? (here?) Where do these people physically hang out, when they find the time to?

The cutting out part was actually the easy part.... reconnecting is the not so easy part

Better yet, I live in the NYC area, where would you suggest I could meet like minded, positive people? I thought about a sailing/yacht club, but thats a financial commitment. Nightlife and bars, those regulars seem to be a bunch of tools.

I'm going to go check out the gym or sign up for some courses. Then maybe schedule a fair, expo, or festival to attend that might seem interesting.

When I was in London I was always scanning http://meetup.com for events. There are loads of them for the business minded.

Perfect. Thank you. I'll be sure to check it out.

P.S. Where in the EU do you live? I'm in Poland and Germany usually 5 to 6 times a year.

You're welcome. I live in Poland at the moment. We could def catch up the next time you're around here.