Anyone feel like this?

Feel like I need to write this down.

Entrepreneurship, is tough. It definitely has changed the way I think, the way I observe, and the way I make decisions.

I have come from absolutely nothing. Made something out of nothing.

I find myself thinking at all times. New ideas, how to solve a problem, what's going to get done the next day, how to motivate my employees, what my next step is, money management, expenses, inventory, etc. like a constant flow of thinking.

My business involves retail, website and distribution. With retail I have to learn new products coming out, margins, where to get the best deals, ingredients, inventory, products expiring, new sales tactics, in store advertising, prices, banned products, sales taxes, and accounting (accounts payable, accounts receivable)

With website I oversee marketing, shipments, products, adding new products, removing old products, Seo, eBay, Amazon, customer service, email responses, online bills to pay, receiving money in various forms, spotting fraudulent activity, changing website pictures and promotions, email blasts, blogging, and social media.

With distribution I also oversee margins, communicating with new clients, delivering products, language barriers, collecting resell certificates, demos, etc.

I'm probably forgetting a lot more. All that put together is a challenge. However, enjoying the freedom and this lifestyle pushes me to set new goals, succeed, and become a leader.

I quit my full time career to pursue a passion. Sold my race car, my daily and anything in my possession to raise capital to start somewhere. Endless nights having withdrawals and vomiting was tough.

My retail stores has only been opened 7 months and I have pushed it further in 7 months than I could of imagined. Sales have surpassed over $120,000 in 7 months. Im here to let you guys know who are thinking whether or not to take a step forward that you can succeed, you can push and keep getting back up. I am 24 years old and have had a career, sold everything I've had, bought my mother a house at 22 and managed to push myself further beyond what others have always told me. I've heard the "it's not possible" or " at your age you can't possibly do this".

If anyone is interested in my story, I wouldn't mind taking some time to write it all up and answer some questions. I am more than glad to help a fellow SE and motivate anyone I can motivated. Sometimes all a person needs is that push.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sports Nutrition Products at Wholesale Prices!

"The more you learn, the more you EARN."

Welcome to SE, where in Miami are you?

Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Welcome to SE, where in Miami are you?
    Thank you for the welcome Don! Miami Lakes. The business location is very down south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am extremely interested in your story.

Do you have a partner to help? If so have they been there from the beginning?

Were you able to raise 100% capital on your own?

Did you have retail experience?

What was your final push to sell everything?
    White Knight Video - We can explain anything in 90 seconds or less.
    The things that excite you are not random. They are connected to your purpose. Follow them.

Quote Originally Posted by King Corso View Post
    I am extremely interested in your story.

Do you have a partner to help? If so have they been there from the beginning? No partner. Basically started the company while working full time. I needed sports supplements and never made it on time due to working so many hours. So I told myself I would open an account with a supplier and supply myself. I figure I would just pay the taxes when the time was due.

Big awakening there. I had so many headaches trying to find suppliers, trying to figure out what was required to operate a business, permits, inspections, how to start a website etc. I do not know how I did not give up.

Were you able to raise 100% capital on your own? Yes. I started with $3,000. To me that was alot at the time because it took me time to save. When I ordered the products, 3 boxes arrived. I could not believe that my savings was in 3 small boxes. I sold them to friends for $5 profit and reinvested for more product.

Did you have retail experience? At all. I once worked at a retail when I was 16. As for running one? Nope. I wasn't worried about that. I knew that with customer service I can get a good starting point and learn from there.

What was your final push to sell everything? Final push was not paying attention to my full time job. I realized that my mind was not focusing at all. I was stepping out the office very often to receive phone calls from suppliers, vendors and customers. I was leaving the office to pay taxes for the business, shipping products during work hours etc. That was my push point.

I waited for December which I knew I would receive a 5k bonus from work. Saved money and January 3rd I was calling all my credit card companies, car loan and paying everything off. After that was done my next step was to sell my 2 cars. One was a daily driver and the other was a race car I had been building for years.

I waited 3 months more to save money and finally took the plunge. Put in my notification and the rest is history. I could literally right a book from my experiences of my ups and downs of running a business.
    See above. Let me know if that answers your questions.

Wow, great! I pretty much needed to hear all of that... Thanks!

Your answers help a lot. I am currently batting around the idea of opening a cigar lounge. Washington state is currently in the process of making them legal again and I would really like to capitalize on it. So far all bills are being passed through by large majority. I believe the final push is the 15th.

I have 10 years of upper management, merchandizing, and inventory management experience. As well as many more years of customer service and sales. I've owned a marketing company and an SEO, web/graphic design company as well.

I have two problems at the moment...
    - Initial capital. Looking at roughly $500k.
    - My wife's cousin is wanting to be a part of it. We are great friends, same age, and he loves great cigars and great scotch and whiskey. He doesn't have a huge knowledge of any of those, he just likes them. Unfortunately he also has zero business sense or "self-start" attitude. He is a great construction worker though.

My problem is if I don't partner with him or even hire him for anything I don't see any further relationship with his family.
    I'm kind of okay with that, however, my wife is not.

Anyway, not sure if you have any advice for me after all that but it does feel good to have it out there. Hahaha!
    White Knight Video - We can explain anything in 90 seconds or less.
    The things that excite you are not random. They are connected to your purpose. Follow them.

This is both incredible and motivating reading this man. I can really relate to it being 23 right now and I was working on starting a fender eliminator business for street bikes. Lower price, well built and better looking that the crap out right now. I built my own because I didn't want to pay $100 for a piece of bent metal and didn't like any other ones really and now people ask me what brand I have when we go on rides and really like it. I'll have to post pics of it.
    What I was getting to just recently is that a friend/business partner/fellow rider that I recently went to LA Fit Expo this weekend had mentioned he needed to find a better way to make and use a shaker cup. It sounds like something so simple, but what we are working on is integrating something like the umoro one cup, but lower cost and 2 drop pods on top for pre-workout and BCAA and a 3rd on bottom for Protein. (I hate having to carry the GoStaks and and bottle and spill stuff everywhere.) I still have to mock it up in Solidworks (3D rendering program), but when done I will post up. It is amazing though how I look at everything I see where you are coming from. My goal by end of the year is to be self employed with 2 businesses started; I am already finding myself doing a lot of sketching, drafting, and researching at work.
    I just want to say thank you for your post it is most definitely motivating and exciting to hear!

King Corso have you studied the cigar market? Researched any competitors? How do you know 500k is required? Is that minimum? Know any suppliers? Margins on cigars? Business plan to know how long it would take you to recoup the investment?

Regards,

Vitamin Man

CreateNInnovate you're very welcome. We were going to fly out to LA FitExpo but instead flew out somewhere else. We are going to be at the Arnold Expo in 2 weeks.

As for shaker cups. The market is very saturated. It is very very expensive to make shakers. I believe for me to make shakers with my logo was about $3k on a cheap cup. Profits were amazing. However, the average consumer really does not purchase shakers. If they do they purchase it at the supp shop they buy their supplements at. Example: my store sells shakers, sometimes we give them away with specials etc.

Now here's the problem. If you can find a solution to this problem, then you have a lot of money to make. Shaker cups tend to go bad very very quick. Most people are on the go and don't wash it quick enough. So the consumer normally prefers to buy a cheap $2-3 one knowing it will go bad soon. If they purchase a $10 cup that will go bad in 2 weeks, then I don't think they will spend $10 again.

Need any help I have a manufacture in China that makes shakers for the majority of the brands out there.

Regards,

Vitamin Man

VitaminMan, I wish I could make it to the Arnold Expo, but theres no way I could afford it just yet.

And that was my first thought when my friend had mentioned shaker cups. I thought he was crazy, but then we started talking more and I saw that there is more to a market than just using a funky looking cup for mixing protein, pre workout, and BCAA's. By making it more of a sleek looking lifestyle type cup that could be used all day in the office and take to the gym it could replace the need for having a reusable water bottle and a shaker cup. One cup that I can relate what it will be similar too is the Umoro One cup, but there are multiple flaws with it and there is a much better solution that I am currently working on. (I checked out their kickstarter and researched where so many of these companies went wrong.) Worst thing that could happen is we design it and 3D print a few working models and nobody cares for them and if we just scrap the idea, but I feel that it is at least worth a shot. Once I have a 3D rendering of it done, Ill throw it up on here and everyone can let me know what they think.

If all does go well though and people do love it then I would definitely need help with a reputable contact in China. I looked at many on Alibaba, but you never really know.

Great answers towards great questions. You're story is very inspiring VitaminMan. One question I have is, how come you don't pursue writing a book about the struggles you've encountered, and of course your success from it? Perhaps with your perspective you could help another who's attempting to travel down the same path as you. I'm happy to hear about your success, but wouldn't you enjoy hearing from others about there's after they read your book?

I recently started writing a book; more of a drama/crime genre, but I didn't realize how much work it actually takes until I began. So far in the short 5 hour time frame I've worked on it, I've have a small character list and about 4 pages of dialog. Now it's my addiction. But my hopes are for it to be a best seller once it's complete, and have it be brutally criticized before it's published. It's my dream, and I'm going to make it happen.

-Robbie

Quote Originally Posted by rt_831 View Post
    Great answers towards great questions. You're story is very inspiring VitaminMan. One question I have is, how come you don't pursue writing a book about the struggles you've encountered, and of course your success from it? Perhaps with your perspective you could help another who's attempting to travel down the same path as you. I'm happy to hear about your success, but wouldn't you enjoy hearing from others about there's after they read your book?

I recently started writing a book; more of a drama/crime genre, but I didn't realize how much work it actually takes until I began. So far in the short 5 hour time frame I've worked on it, I've have a small character list and about 4 pages of dialog. Now it's my addiction. But my hopes are for it to be a best seller once it's complete, and have it be brutally criticized before it's published. It's my dream, and I'm going to make it happen.

-Robbie
    Hey Robbie,

Thank you for your response. I have not thought about writing a book. It seems to take most my time if I were to spend a couple months writing. I've also not reached the level of success I want to reach, so I would be writing endlessly as new struggles happen everyday.

Hearing from others about their success after reading the book would be great. I'm not there yet but I would definitely like to help others going down my same path.

I am sure you will make your book happen with the right mindset. Just keep doing what you're doing for passion not the money or fame. All that follows the passion. Keep your eye on the prize and it will get closer. Let me know once you're done writing the book. I'd like to take a peak at it!

Quote Originally Posted by VitaminMan View Post
    Hey Robbie,

Thank you for your response. I have not thought about writing a book. It seems to take most my time if I were to spend a couple months writing. I've also not reached the level of success I want to reach, so I would be writing endlessly as new struggles happen everyday.

Hearing from others about their success after reading the book would be great. I'm not there yet but I would definitely like to help others going down my same path.

I am sure you will make your book happen with the right mindset. Just keep doing what you're doing for passion not the money or fame. All that follows the passion. Keep your eye on the prize and it will get closer. Let me know once you're done writing the book. I'd like to take a peak at it!
    It definitely takes quite awhile. I was just able to finish up chapter one last night But I understand where you are coming from.
    You have your goals, and I have no doubt you will achieve them. Like you said, keep your eyes on the prize. The right kind of hard work will always pay off!

Of course, I'll email you a copy when it's complete. Give me a month or so and I should have the rough draft done.

VM,

You've done something many supplement shop owners couldn't, including myself. In the first 8 months I have made just over $10,000 - so to do 120K in 7 months is nothing short of exceptional.

I have decided to close my retail shop and focus online. Not sure what your plans are, but great work and keep it up!

Thank you Sebastia. I'm curious. What state were you located in and reason for closing down?

Regards,

Vitamin Man

California.

who are thinking whether or not to take a step forward that you can succeed, you can push and keep getting back up
    Thanks for the piece of advice, just what I needed to get my week going in the right direction. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Straner View Post
    Thanks for the piece of advice, just what I needed to get my week going in the right direction. Thanks!
    Anytime buddy!

Regards,

Vitamin Man

Thank you for this inspirational thread. Mr. Benjo and I have been at a bit of a plateau for awhile with our current venture. There have been a few obstacles that delayed our projected timeline and created some frustrations. I was looking for something motivating to read and this did help give a motivational push to get back on that horse and continue. Reading about your drive and success reminded me why we started our project in the first place.

Congrats on your success!

Kindest Regards,
    Mrs. Benjo (Charlene)
    "2015 - It's Game Time"
    Benjo & Mrs. Benjo

Quote Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
    Thank you for this inspirational thread. Mr. Benjo and I have been at a bit of a plateau for awhile with our current venture. There have been a few obstacles that delayed our projected timeline and created some frustrations. I was looking for something motivating to read and this did help give a motivational push to get back on that horse and continue. Reading about your drive and success reminded me why we started our project in the first place.

Congrats on your success!

Kindest Regards,
    Mrs. Benjo (Charlene)
    Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad with my post I am able to motivate. I will update those post with more motivation as I struggle through good days and bad days.

Regards,

Vitamin Man