Motivation Problems!

Hey Entourage,

I have a few issues with motivating myself to go forth with my business ideas. I do not feel very motivated to pursue my business ideas or try new things. I never really done anything for myself or have something of my own that my parents have not paid for. Also I feel guilty about going against them because I feel like I owe my parents for taking care of me. Because of that I feel like there's something hanging over my head every time I want to try and be independent. I've made it into college but it is like the only reason I'm there is because they're paying for it. I'm tired of being on the financial leash and want some freedom in my life but I don't know what to do! Any advice or tips are appreciated!

Thanks!

Yes, 2 things to keep in mind:

1. Just start doing something/anything you like. The key is to START!
    2. Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs.

Matt
    Subscribe to my channel

Follow: Instagram // Twitter
    Founder, PixelBit (web & mobile studio)

D_Richard,

I was in the EXACT same spot as you about three years ago.
    Firstly, people who aren't in your position just don't get it.
    From their view, you're some silver spoon who's ungrateful for what their parents give them when they would kill to be in your position.
    Obviously, you're grateful. You just feel like there's something greater for you to be doing.
    -- The financial leash can be turned into a spring board quite easily.. If you come to your parents with a mostly planned out business and they really feel your energy and passion about it, they might be willing to help you fund it using your college money.... (a bit out there, but it doesn't hurt to try!)
    -- The number one thing here is to be true to yourself.
    If you're like me and you absolutely can't stand anything about college, or the classroom setting idea where you just jump through hoops for a letter or a number that your parents either approve of or are disappointed about, then it may be time to plan an exit strategy. - Remember, life is really short, so even wasting a semester or a quarter doing things you can't stand without a clear reason why is ridiculous and pointless.
    -- The last thing you want to do is quit school and not have a plan for when your get home.. (Speaking from experience..)
    I wasted about 8 months of my life just drinking and netflixing before I realized I was going more places when I was in school.
    -- It's really a good idea to be straight up with your parents.
    Tell them you're not happy and why, and I'm almost positive they will respond well.
    They want the best for you anyway.. Mine were a huge help.
    -- This one sounds cheesy.. But on all your social media accounts, unfollow absolutely anything that doesn't motivate you in some way. I spend lots of time on Instagram and it's been a key for me to really focus what comes across my screen.
    No room for bullshit.
    -- Working out helps me to clear my head and refocus. And progress over six week periods really helps to reinforce that little steps add up.. This helps me continue making little steps when I'm having a terrible day.
    -- As for just not feeling motivated at all, That is one hundred percent normal. I've been having a rough month with my motivation, but the days where you just don't feel like it are the days you grow the most when you force yourself to do things you don't want to do, but know you need to do in order to accomplish where you're headed.
    --Making lists of what I need to do day by day is also huge for me. I use the notes on my phone and write down the top 5 things I need to get done, then choose one thing that is critical for the day. I knock out the most critical goal first, and then finish the rest. These are usually very simple goals.
    Example:
    1. Gym - Chest,Arms,Shoulders
    2. Change oil in car
    3. Film new video entry for blog - Critical
    4. Place order for 'Excuse Killers' Long Sleeves
    5. Do laundry

The point of a simple list like this is to visualize what you need to get done and get it done.
    It just really helps with motivation when you feel like it's been a bum day and you cross the last item off the list.
    --
    Another massive help for me lately has been podcasts.
    I'm subscribed to three right now that really knock it out of the park in my opinion.
    1. The MFCEO Project Podcast
    2. The #ASKGARYVEESHOW
    3. The Tim Ferriss Show
    They have upload times all throughout the week and put out extremely helpful content.
    These guys are superstars.

I'm sure I'm leaving out tons of stuff.. I really hope this helps.
    I've been in your shoes, and even some days I still feel what you're talking about.
    Would love to talk with you more if you need someone to bounce ideas off of or anything.
    Have a great Holiday Season!
    -Seth

This helped me out as well! Listened to the MFCEO last night , He has some really great content. Thanks man

@sethme93 This helped me out as well! Listened to the MFCEO last night , He has some really great content. Thanks man

Thanks SethMe93!

I am just nervous because my mom has short temper, like the smallest things can set her off. On the hand my dad is more carefree and calmer. I would show them a plan for my businesses but it's all ideas and features at the moment. As for college, I like it but for right now it's been rough because I can't start my classes for my major until next fall. I'm going in to architecture and try to do my own designs and stuff in the future. On social media I completely get where you're coming from. About a month ago I deleted my Twitter because I was had a moment of self realization and said to myself "What the fuck are you doing?". I was following stupid accounts like dank aliens and Worldstar fights! I'm a bit new to making lists but I'm not very consistent them. In the past I have made lists and completed them but in the end I wouldn't need them because I would just memorizing things I needed to do. It's great to hear support from everyone here! Since I am on winter break from college, I'm taking this time to recharge, refresh, and plan out my goals for 2016! I hope you all smash 2016 and have an awesome time!

Happy Holiday!
    D_Richard

This helped me out as well! Listened to the MFCEO last night , He has some really great content. Thanks man
    Erik, I'm really glad that helped! Isn't he a fuckin boss???

And D_Richard, Good to hear you've already cleaned out your social channels. That's a big help.

As for your mom, the fact you only have ideas, and the hold up with college, there's a two part harsh truth that exists with those things..

1 - Nothing will ever be a good time to go after what you want, so planning how to have the perfect execution, or waiting because someone told you you can't is only holding you back longer.

2 - You just have to ask yourself how badly you want it. When I was feeling stuck at college, it was because I just didn't want it bad enough. I had opportunity around me like crazy being on a college campus, but I spent too much time fretting over the "what ifs" and zero time on just doing what I knew I needed to do.

My biggest hurdle was realizing that no matter how hard I failed, it would still contribute to my success because every failure was more experience.

I just finished reading "Stay Poor" (an eBook that comes with the Secret Academy membership) and I really think it would be helpful for you to read it!

You're on the right track, and I know because I've been almost exactly where you are. You're taking the right steps to figure it all out, and I hope you have a great Holiday as well!!

-Seth

Quote Originally Posted by D_Richard View Post
    In the past I have made lists and completed them but in the end I wouldn't need them because I would just memorizing things I needed to do.
    While you can remember things, a list makes you feel more accomplished. As you check them off (literally, not electronic) you start to gain momentum and can keep tackling win after win.
    Subscribe to my channel

Follow: Instagram // Twitter
    Founder, PixelBit (web & mobile studio)

Try baby steps, Sometimes what prevents is from starting is the huge mountain in front of us.
    So start with some simple small steps, I am not sure what business you are on about starting, but if you want your parents to see your serious, how about figuring our your market.
    As a parent my myself it would be the first thing I would expect to see is some kind of Customer descriptions ( who you are selling to) and if that market exists.
    These simple 2 steps will go along way to , firstly starting on the road, and secondly would give you some content to actually show your parents you have a market.
    Good luck mate, we all have to start somewhere

Steve