Lightbulb The five peope you surrond yourself with...

A new twist on an old concept:

"The five people that surround you are the average of the actions you take and the mindset you have."

This is an interesting concept that I'm always thinking about.

It's a play on words from the old "You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with".

This is basically talking about "perception is projection" and how our life around us outside of our bodies is a result of what occurs on the inside. It's framed up in a 100% literal (quantum physics) sense.

I believe the point of the word play is to give us a higher level of personal accountability.

Then I realized that the "five people" in my life usually came about only when I took the actions necessary to be at the level they were at.

When I started college, I met three other people in the same shoes as me and we all were in the same stage of life as each other... going through the same struggles. (Paying for tuition out of pocket, no financial assistance, etc.)

But they only came into my network because of the actions I took. Then, when we all took action, a multi-millionaire mentor came into our lives. But ONLY after we took action and understood we were ready.

So I'm coming to believe that the goal is NOT to simply seek out people to surround ourselves with (example; "I'm new here - can ____ mentor me!?") but to transform into the person first and then know others will surround you.

I think I've heard something similar before as "When the student is ready, the mentor appears."

I now view this at a literal level. Becoming more aware is some trippy stuff. Haha.

Has anyone noticed this in their life where people appear at just the right times?

Awesome! Thank you for sharing, awesome concept to think about and maybe apply!

Regards,

Brendan

Excellent way of looking at things. I tend to agree! You cannot just sit and wait to be surrounded by fiver great people, but I do not think you need to be on their level initially. But, yes, you should absolutely take the actions to be "in the same room"

Agreed. I found myself getting involved with the wrong sort of people and it only just dragging me down. I'm a very generous person but it gets tiring helping everyone around you constantly.
    It took me a while to decide that some people are simply not at the point in their lives where they want to move forward, they're simply living for today which was not a point I wanted to stay in.
    There are friends and colleagues I've had to leave behind and it's tough... but perhaps seeing me move forward may help drive them to want more as well.
    -Karen

Awesome post and a good reminder to surround myself with the right people.