Taking my interests online: construction, renewables, and tech combined

I am looking at setting up an online business. I have deliberated over many different avenues for quite some time now and believe that this is my best approach for getting started because I have plenty of experience and knowledge in these areas.

I would like to create a content based online business that related to construction / renewable energy and how the internet of things benefits these industries. The main aim of this business is to provide unique value to like minded people and to eventually create enough income to support me so that I can venture into more elaborate business ventures that I am eager to pursue.

I have plenty of ideas for income generation, however, I am not sure it will work or if this is worth pursuing.

My questions for you are:
    - is a content based online business / blog still a viable way to break away from a 9-5 or set up a second income stream?
    - has any of you brought your construction or tech relate experience online through means of a consultancy or content based business? If so, I would love to hear from you.
    - any thoughts on the subjects or the combination of them are welcomed.

Should you have any other tips or questions then leave a comment and I'll be sure to respond.

Thanks in advance.

I think with regards to your first question :" is a content based online business / blog still a viable way to break away from a 9-5 or set up a second income stream?" content based websites/blogs require a large audience / subscribers to be able to sustain a viable income. You'd also need to have advertising/sponsership ads which can be either distracting or also require an established audience/user engagement to procure. What I'm trying to say is, it's not an instant source of income. You will probably find that for the first few months you'll be putting in lots of work with little to no income coming in as a result.