Thread: Feeling Stuck

Feeling Stuck

Hey guys,

I just wanted to see if anyone in here could help a little with my mindset through this period I am going through. I feel stuck. I am 21 and in college, but feel little purpose with anything I am doing. I trade Forex and stocks, but I have made a lot of money and lost it multiple times. I have tried applying to jobs, but most of them never contact me back for some reason even though I have an outstanding resume. I am not sure what to do anymore and am having a hard time making money with no job. Regarding trading, I know the money I have made and lost is my fault and am on a paper account to work on my risk management at this point. Thanks for reading and I just wanted to reach out to anyone who may have been in this situation before and what they did to advance themselves.

Thanks

Hey buddy,
    Yes, I think it is safe to assume the majority of us have been in your exact shoes. lol
    You have something good, in regards to your wants, but you may need to tweak your approach if you're not seeing the response to your actions you're looking for.

In regards to your trading Forex and stocks, it sounds like you've gotten lucky more than really established a pattern so you don't lose. I don't know exactly what you practice as a pattern but every time you profit, try taking the profit and putting it aside. For example: Say you are using $300 to purchase, after you sell, you come out with $330. Put that additional $30 aside (maybe even $40), then continue to purchase with the original funds you earned back. If you play it smart and know when to STOP without getting ahead of yourself and taking TOO much risk, this trend will continue, eventually leading you to have a savings built up on the side which will have earned you back the original money you started with. Eventually making your risk 0%. If you have not perfected trading, (you probably already know this) don't depend on it. You should be using it like a hobby for now, not even using it as a supplemental income yet since you're prone to still lose too much.
    You may or may not already know all this but I figured I'd give my advice if it helps. How long have you been trading?

Also, if you're looking for a job... yes, it's going to be difficult no matter what. Ask yourself this: What is your goal?
    What industry do you want to get into? Since you're in college, once you graduate, what will your degree allow you to do?
    You have a great opportunity right now to establish some field experience even while you are in college.
    I assume you are going to college for... maybe finance? Marketing? Business?
    So think of it this way... You're getting a degree in business marketing. Your long term goal is that one day, you want to own and build one of the greatest luxury dealerships in the South East. Well, what do you have to do to get there?
    College kids have more trouble starting off after graduation simply due to lack of job experience. Employers want the ability to DO, not just knowledge to DO. So get your foot in the door ASAP!
    When applying, apply at entry level positions in the field you EVENTUALLY WANT TO BE IN (car dealers, etc.). Your resume needs to say that the reason you are applying is because your life goal is to gain experience in that field and you're passionate about learning and providing to the growth and prosper of said company.
    The fact that your current education is directly related to the field you are applying into says a lot more than "Hey, I'm in college for medical/dental/etc., but I am applying to your finance firm to be a receptionist... (because I need money)"
    If I were to receive a resume for someone applying to be my receptionist at my firm or dealership but they are in college to be a dentist, I immediately will rule them out. Their goals are not aligned with the goals of my company, they are simply applying for a job to pay bills, nothing more.

Now, third step. If you are applying and getting no contact back... you're not taking enough initiative. When you go to the location to apply, make friends with the receptionist, or whoever you are dealing with. Be friendly, find something in common with them and try to make some small talk. Make yourself stand out and be memorable. Out of the dozens or hundreds of applicants, why should they remember you? You're just a bunch of words on a paper.
    Before you leave, ask questions about the company. What is their business goals, what do they plan? Are they growing? Expanding? How would you fit in and how could they benefit from you as an employee down the road after you've graduated?
    See if it's possible to meet the hiring manager, operations manager, CEO, business owner. Say that you simply would like to directly thank them for considering you and giving you the opportunity to learn about their company.
    If you can get a direct phone umber or email to the person making the hiring decisions or a higher up, wait until the next day and send an email or make a phone call. Again, make yourself memorable. Thank them for the opportunity again, let them know your life goals are directly related to the goals of their business and you would be the best option.
    If no response by the next week, call back again and inquire if the position has been filled. This way, you are not wasting your time hoping they are still considering you. But do not WAIT for them. Continue to apply, anywhere and everywhere in the field you eventually want to be in.
    It doesn't matter if you get a job being a janitor for said company, your foot in in the door of the industry you need to be in.

I hope some of this helps!
    -Karen