How to create a magazine/book?

What's up my name is Hayden and I had a few questions regarding the process to create a magazine/book. In detail, I wanted to get my friend a pretty dope gift: A 350 ml bottle of Hennessy Privilege and a personal magazine yearbook. By personal magazine yearbook, I wanted to create a magazine of his social media activity throughout the course of 2016 across all forms of social media (twitter, instagram, tumblr, facebook). Like a highlight yearbook along social media. Have the cover magazine look like a funky Wired magazine-esque cover. But I don't want ALL of the social media activity. Only highlighted criteria. Example: Analyze the highest engaged tweets throughout the year, analyze the most retweeted, favorited, liked, reblogged, etc,. Include media photos or video snapshots. Select the most reasonable content that fits.

Anyway, you get a little synopsis of it. Personalize that shit. Now, the bottle of Hennessy is because this dude loves his Henny and it would be the cherry atop this sentimental cake.

Questions
    ~PRICE ASIDE~
    What would be my first step?
    -do I write everything down on paper, then reach out to an organization to make it up happen?

What would be a online software that big magazine companies use that enables a person to construct a magazine online then print that to paper?

If any of you have published a book/magazine, what would be a beginnig outline to go about creating this personal magazine yearbook?

Who would I reach out to?
    -does an individual have access to create a magazine?

Next,

Say I went a little deeper with the concept, refined it a bit and created some meaningful value. If I were to essentially commercialize the concept, what are the legal grounds on publishing a book that contains Twitter, IG, FB, etc., properties (tweets, statuses)?

If I were to be a business entity handling hundreds of magazines and selling them to customers, what would the business structure look like from ME to the magazine creators?

Can I get sued? Is this idea to commercialize this magazine a bust from the get-go?

What does it cost to make an average book? What drives the costs?

If you had extensive knowledge in this area and could happen to estimate a total cost that would be appreciative.

I would appreciate all sorts of feedback, as I am a sponge to you veteran entrepreneurs. I hope to soak any weight of knowledge from your expertise that I can.

Thanks

Hayden Hutchison
    Fort Hays State University

So you're looking to make it so that customers can custom design their book/magazine online? or would they be feeding you the info and you would be compiling it yourself? I'm trying to figure out if the interface would need to be customer friendly, or just used by you and your staff.

I had imagined that you could essentially create a computer software that allows the collection of all kinds of media, organize it on a program, assort it on a page format that simulates the page dimensions then reprograms when it prints. Say we made like a Twitter Yearbook, a collective yearbook of an individual’s tweets. My motive is run by the notion that with how everything nowadays is becoming digitized, all of this data is becoming cluttered and lost among the vast landscape of online data. Nothing seems to be preserved in tangible form. Which is seeming to become a lost art. Not really, but hypothetically.

If I want to log on twitter and see exactly what I tweeted on June 13, 2015, I have to scroll down to the bottom of the page, endlessly clicking load more tweets, hundreds of times. How convenient would it be to have a Twitter yearbook? Really personalize it, make the twitter user feel a little honored to have taken part in the rise of social media and how it has transitioned our culture. So then, if I wanted to know what I tweeted on June 13, 2015, boom magazine/book in hand and it’s right there. No complicated process. For some individuals or companies, groups, organizations, etc., they have accumulated their rise from their Twitter existence. They could have owned and operated a company that does 98% of its sales through e-Commerce. I think that if they had a yearbook highlighting all their growth and development as an organization, it would commemorate their accomplishments. The group that would be most effective I believe to market towards, would be the group between ages 16-40. Reason being, a large portion of our lives we’ve been accustomed to tangible books, physically right there. Growing up in school, textbooks or drivers education or anything really, it’s always been paper and pencil, ya know. Well, we also have had the luxury of being in the heat of a technological revolution, shifting societal trends from paper books to computers and mobile devices. Therefore, this group of people is one foot out of the door of printed, tangible book copies and one foot in the door to complete technology usage. It might not be a powerhouse profiting organization model, but it could be a seasonal hot spot. Like after every year, all kinds of people would order a personal twitter book that highlights their year in of social media activity. So you would have a lot of work at roughly the beginning of the new years. Because you would want to produce all these books remembering the previous year. So we would be slammed with work the first 1, 2, 3 ,4 maybe 5 months of the new year with business. But then activity would probably decline because the demand would go down because it’s 5 months into the next year. But Twitter isn’t going anywhere. They're a social media tycoon that will continue being around for years to come. I get they’re a little down at the moment but they have a lot of significance. Is it possible to make the personalized item, really pimped out with hundreds of interesting designs options, a wide variety of book covers, then made a killer software that would allow us to distribute. If we had a software that allowed us to create such models online, where would we send them to be made in magazine/book form? Maybe the customer friendly version would be more engaged. Would consider taking a survey about this.
    Last edited by hutchdiesel; 02-01-2017 at 01:52 AM. Reason: noticed an out of context sentence

It's similar idea (albeit in print form) to the Facebook year end videos that compile the highlights.

Sounds similar. Is there dialogue in the Facebook year end videos, or just media? I like the concept that Twitter is essentially a micro-blog, and these tweets along with pictures would encapsulate a virtual diary. Is there any value here also? Is it significant enough to have social media influencers advertise this product on Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat?

I believe the Facebook version encapsulates status updates, photos and posts. I believe there's a bit of dialogue/narration pre-populated by Facebook.

Judging solely by the amount of people who post their year end Facebook videos, I think there might be a solid customer base here.

I've identified some possible competitors and I feel like with how I would market this through social media and social influencers, I would crush them. My question, do I create a prototype first? Do I build a business model before I make moves? Do I create a business model then present it to my group of investors/mentors? What do you think, Batman?

Well, crush them all depends. Most social networks have something similar in the works - at least in a digital version - for free. You would have to give people a good reason to want to buy this - and not just so they can have a printed out version.

I would say you need to absolutely sit down and work out a business model, specifically outlining how this idea is different and will drive sales. Having a prototype doesn't hurt, but yeah...really make sure you aren't infringing on any copyrights and design patents.

Good point and yes I agree with you JohnnyBoy, people like having access to Twitter for free. I will construct a business model and really outline the value proposition.

I agree, with so much of social media being free, you would want to come up with a reason for people to hand over the cash.

I have decided on the name YearLit. This word combines two aspects I want to emphasize.

Year - encapsulating a year-in tweet (You can't tell that by the word "Year" but you can understand it in this case)
    Lit - a word highly used among the millennials generation describing a great time

YearLit also sounds like pamphlet or booklet. Which has a small correlation.
    I would include the year number also with the title. Example for 2017, YearLit 17. Year 2018 = YearLit 18.

Do you like this name? WHY OR WHY NOT? Don't sugarcoat me I'm not a bitch.

I have decided on the name YearLit. This word combines two aspects I want to emphasize.

Year - encapsulating a year-in tweet (You can't tell that by the word "Year" but you can understand it in this case)
    Lit - a word highly used among the millennials generation describing a great time

YearLit also sounds like pamphlet or booklet. Which has a small correlation.
    I would include the year number also with the title. Example for 2017, YearLit 17. Year 2018 = YearLit 18.

Do you like this name? WHY OR WHY NOT? Don't sugarcoat me I'm not a bitch.

I like it. It's very succinct. I would swap out the numbers for roman numerals. I think it adds an old school edge. Just an opinion.

FUCK YES. I DIG THAT.

Thank you for the input. The reason I like this forum is because, you never know who is out there. You never know if one person's recommendation could be the missing piece of the puzzle.

I will seriously be developing this project with members in my school entrepreneurial department. We have competitions this semester and hella investors at our fingertips.

I will frequently be posting in this thread throughout the spring.

WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ANY ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS OR QUESTIONS!

Even with a good name, I don't see the motivational factor behind why to buy this. I think before you invest any more energy and time (and money) into this, you really need to answer that question first. If people could do this for free, why would they pay me to do it?

Glad you liked the input! But I also agree with JohnnyBoy.